Friday, September 2, 2011

The next day.

So here is the down point:

All signs point to my job vanishing in two months. I'm great at writing emails to people, but chances are high that the entirety of the English-speaking department will be moved over to England in November, and I can probably either go with them and have a job or stay here and have no job. Again. And it's not like going with them is an option, because hello, England? Boyfriend?

The Irish girl I work with says that she is used to this by now. She has had multiple odd jobs here in the past three years - she's been a nanny too, of course - and is sort of lassez-faire about the whole thing. Both she and the other expatriate I work with (he's a Canadian former airline pilot who came to Germany because hello, it's Germany, and now he can't find a job and is therefore working in marketing, writing emails with a 22-year-old) are experts at this.

They stay because, well, things aren't any better in the US and Ireland right now. But the constant rotation of jobs seems to have hardened them into people who shrug and take what they can get, and it scares me.

Two days ago, a woman approached me on the street and gave me her phone number. She said, in swift German, that she owns a customer-service firm and is always looking for new representatives, and that if I wanted a job I should call her. I had no idea why... I think it was because I was wearing a bright red dress and looking very conspicuous. I halfway think she's a madam, and I halfway think she's terrifying, and I halfway am considering calling her, just because I have no clue what else exactly I am supposed to be doing here.

No comments:

Post a Comment