Thursday, March 25, 2010

Internationalismuskeit

It turns out I really cannot successfully write in the manner of Ernest Hemingway, no matter how much I drink, so I should probably stop trying and go back to using adverbs as per usual.

And what a joy it is, to write complexly! To speak quickly! and use adjectives! and intricate multisyllabic words for things! English is so beautiful and so underrated!

You see, I've spent the past couple of days hanging out with the rogue group of Austrians. After we had dinner that first night, they apparently liked having a fourth person in their group, and asked if I wanted to accompany them on a bike tour of the city on Tuesday? I did -- I love bikes-- and we spent the day weaving through traffic and waving at pedestrians and ringing our horns and taking our bike seats with us while we were inside shops to prevent them from being stolen. It was gorgeous.

Long story short, I have been hanging out with them for roughly 72 hours. It's been great to have people who don't know the city either, and it's a great way to improve my German, if not my Spanish (the Austrians, in general, just sort of shout things at the waitstaff confusedly, and the waitstaff kindly accomodate them in English).

Last night, though, was the kicker. Philip and Steve had tickets for a Barcelona football game, so Elise and I walked around downtown while they shouted things in the stadium excitedly, dressed in blue-and-red scarves and jerseys. When we met up, we all wanted food...

We wound up at a Japanese sushi restaurant. We were, after the Spaniard sitting alone in the corner left, the only people in the place. And it was A BUFFET. A sushi buffet. For 12.95. With dessert. And sake. I was practically shaking in delight.

The staff were tiny and adorable, as a rule. They were also plainly actually from Japan, and only kind of spoke Spanish. The man in the corner spoke English fairly well, which was useful when the waitstaff asked him to help interpret our bill for us -- he explained it to me in English, and I translated into German. Then we proceeded to eat Japanese food in Spain.

I don't know where I am anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment